Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

18 February 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Pine Plantation, Hawai, Bay of Plenty

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.




Inland from the coastal locality of Hawai (yes - that's how it's spelled), north-east of Opotiki on the Bay of Plenty these outlying hills of the Raukumara Forest Park were in the early stages of a new pine crop. That was nearly a quarter of a century ago so they no longer look like my illustration.

I called the drawing 'candlewick hills' because they reminded me of the blobs of fibre that used to dot my bedspread. Doing the painting was tricky - all those green spots! For the technique-minded I kept the greeny-yellowy substrate slightly moist so that the dots would spread slightly without sharp edges. I think it worked!

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan