Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

22 February 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: ANZ Bank, Tolaga Bay, Eastland

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.


I don't know whether this building was originally a bank but it has all the attributes of one: the need to look authoritative (in a very small town), reliable, and four-square solid. It says 'Trust us, we know how to care for your money.' The people of East Cape work hard for their money.

The letter form of 'ANZ' very much dates this illustration (late 1980s). As a type face, it's called Braggadocio or, perhaps, Stencil (it's difficult to tell them apart). Since then the bank has changed its corporate identity at least two or three times - at great expense, I might add, because new so-called 'logos' don't come cheap. 

I liked the old style. I haven't been to Tolaga Bay for many years, I hope the building still exists.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan