Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

02 March 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Holy Trinity, Derby Street, Gisborne

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.


When I illustrated this fine church in 1987 it was described as the second church to have been built on its site. It stood next to the third church and was now used as the parish hall. It was infinitely more pleasing to the eye than its successor, being well preserved and colourful. I liked the red door. 

The fashion for bright door colours is common these days but this one reminded me of when my wife and I, newly wed, took a flat in Bayswater, England, in 1955 the front door of which we painted bright yellow and attached a polished brass knocker. We really broke new ground in those days and felt quite nervous about what the neighbours might say!

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan