Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

30 August 2009

No Parlo Bene Italiano but…

I discovered that if I said to an Italian ‘No parlo bene Italiano; parle Inglesi?’ rapidly followed with ‘Sono da la Nuova Zelanda.’ I could establish:-

1. That although I didn’t speak Italian I was doing my best, and didn’t automatically expect him or her to speak in English.

2. That I was not English. Some Italians don’t like English tourists as they see too many of them. New Zealand is, believe it or not, exotic, not well known (one often has to relate it to Australia) and nothing of a threat. Indeed, at times there are warm feelings, either from the war or rugby union, (Tutti neri = All Blacks).

3. We’re not German. (For some reason - I can’t imagine why!!! - Italians dislike them).

From ‘Antipasto’ random samplings from various writings made over a few years of visits to a ‘New Zealander’s Italy’

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan