Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

17 April 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: The Cosmopolitan Club, Wanganui

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.



This reminded me of something I once saw in Egypt. I can't think why. The Wanganui Cosmopolitan Club must have been endowed by pretty wealthy local men (it would undoubtedly have been men) in 1900. It would have been a place to wheel, deal, move and shake in those days. Very grand. 

My drawing was done, as were most in the North Island, in 1987 when, I'm sure, the club flourished. The '87 crash, laws against drinking and driving, and less need for the younger up-comer to need patronage damaged such clubs considerably into the new century; I wonder whether the 'Cossy Club' was similarly affected?

For the technique-minded, I drew the wrought iron with liquid rubber solution, let it dry, painted the watercolour wash over it, then peeled it off. Hey presto white railings!

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan