Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

16 April 2011

NewZealand Odyssey: Wanganui Rowing Club.

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.


I liked this stately old wooden building beside the Whanganui River. I'm not sure of its vintage but I'd put it around 1880 - Victorian without a doubt. One imagines mustachioed worthies in rowing suits, horizontally hooped and stretching to above the knee, sweating their Saturday way (without underarm deodorants) on their historic river, always ready to throw their diminutive cox into the river after any victory.

My drawing was done in 1987; the building looks the same today except for a different paint job and something posh they've done to the front entrance.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan