Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

26 May 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Baptist Church, Nelson

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.


To my mind this rather grand church belies what I have always thought of as a simple religion, perhaps I'm thinking of some other? Quakers perhaps? But it was a joy to paint in 1988 with all its decorative features and iron curlicues but, as with so many New Zealand buildings it's wearing a cloth cap - corrugated iron! Surely they could have run to a few shingles or shakes?

I knew a very beautiful woman once who was a devout Baptist. When she heard that I was an atheist (or maybe agnostic) she told me that when I die I will have a 'hell of a shock'. I thought that somewhat arrogant; it remains to be seen!

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan