Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

07 July 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: The Old Longford Store, Murchison

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.




The Old Longford Store, five kilometres north of Murchison, looked like this in 1988. It long ago closed down. Now worse for wear, rusty roof sagging, it's just a memory. I actually remember when it was a functioning shop in the 1960s!
The finger post points up the Mangles Valley, to a trout stream I much wanted to fish when I arrived in New Zealand from England in 1960. I was fortunate to meet a man whose farm straddled the river and we've been friends ever since. The original of this drawing hangs in his house. I can't think of a better place for it to be.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan