Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

15 August 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Signal Box, Heathcote Valley

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.


Railway buildings have a charm unique - especially those belonging to New Zealand Rail. Busy, self-important, functional and sturdy. I guess that like most small boys who never get the chance, I should like to have pulled some of those levers and set off some warning bells and lights in my time. Too late now. 

This signal box was, is? at Heathcote in a valley that leads through rock portals to a tunnel to Lyttelton. The valley took a pounding in the Canterbury earthquakes but I'm sure the signal box is still there.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan