Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

02 September 2012

Leaves From My Sketchbooks. 14. St. John's, Barrhill



I made a note in my sketchbook that read: 'Very simple church, almost severe. In a lovely grassy glen surrounded by old trees and empty cottages. I felt as if I were in the ghost of Goldsmith's "Sweet Auburn! Loveliest village of the plain".' The drawing looks ghostly too, the church is actually more colourful than that..

On the day I sketched in the churchyard all was still and I saw nobody. Around what seemed laid out like a village square were just a few empty weekenders and one permanent house; the leafy common lands were being grazed by sheep with no sense of history.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz    www.don-donovan.blogspot.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan