Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

20 September 2012

Leaves From My Sketchbooks. 32. Barga and the Duomo, Tuscany


I did these illustrations some years apart. The top one, the earlier, I drew while sitting on the alley surface with my back against a car bumper.

I was older when I did the lower one. That time I brought a stool to sit on, my bottom being less inclined to sustain punishment. Interestingly, the trees at the end of the alley had grown quite quickly.

The church on the hill dominates Barga; it is the duomo San Cristofero; on one of the corbels of its tower there is carved an image of Mussolini, who gave Barga city status. If you mention the carving to local people they frown in puzzlement and stare into the distance...




© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz    www.don-donovan.blogspot.co.nz
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan